Monday, September 17, 2007

About Windows Vista UAC

Perhaps the most notable change from Windows XP to Vista is the addition of the UAC (User Account Control) which is the cause of the security dialogs prompting for permission to perform system actions. Considering this is just a tip, I am going to be brief in my explanation and defer to Microsoft for the details.

First off, UAC is a good thing. While some ”experts” and anti-Vista people are quick to point out you get prompted for virtually anything you do, this simply is not true. I’ve been running Vista for about 3 months now with UAC enabled and it is no hindrance at all. Now that I have my system set up, I rarely see a UAC prompt.

Typically you are prompted when you do one of the following:

  • Install a program or Active X control.
  • Try to manipulate files and folders in system directories (C:, \Windows, \Program Files, etc.).
  • Modify a system settings (i.e. anything in the control panel).
  • Modify system services or drivers (i.e. anything in Computer Management).

I am in no way trying to start a debate here, just pointing out what I have noticed. If you do not want the UAC notifications, you can easily disable them.

This is virtually the exact way Linux and Mac have worked for years. Since under the 2000/XP model, practically every user has administrative rights on the machine, this made it easy for viruses and spyware to install and hide itself… because it would have the same rights on the machine as the user. Even worse, due to the nature of malware it all happens behind the scenes, making it very hard to combat.

Microsoft recently published a fantastic explanation about what UAC is and is not on their web site which I would recommend you read.

No comments: